Gas Meter Query

21 Jan 2009
Reaction score
Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom
On the side of my house i currently have a gas meter sitting in a bolt on meter box. I'm needing to change this to a flushed box due to access problems.

I'm getting a flush box in the exact location of the bolt on box so no changes to any of the piping leading to the meter will be required. Maybe a few changes on the consumer side.

A Corgi registered engineer is giving me a quote for this work at the moment but will this have to be done by the gas supplier, due to technically the gas meter will be moved into the cavity by a few inches but there will be no change to the supply side of things?
Sponsored Links
Contact supplier, its illegal for RGI to move any meters unless authorised by supplier, its one thing for engineers to move meters a few inches (usually internal) but another to move external meter boxes, if I was that engineer I wouldnt take on the job, not worth the risk.
Its difficult to envisage a way that the meter could be moved into a FULLY recessed box without pipe modification on the inlet side.

The supply pipe will come up adjacient to the wall and ther there will be a control valve.

That valve will either have to be modified or will end up outside the property.

What about some floor mounted meters like these on the pavement?

View media item 7761
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local