Removing the white gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to create a bench on the side of my house by boxing in a new soil stack and gas meter with decking wood.

Question is - can I remove the white box around the meter in order to make the seat lower? I would build in a door on the front to provide easy access to the meter.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't normally be able to remove the box without having the meter taken out because the box is usually a single moulded construction.

View media item 46562
Also, the box is designed to form a seal between the meter and the property, so that in the event of a gas leak, the gas will not get from the box into the building or fill the cavity walls and turn your home into a bomb. So if you did have the box removed, you couldn't have the meter in that location.

You wouldn't normally be able to remove the box without having the meter taken out because the box is usually a single moulded construction.

View media item 46562
Also, the box is designed to form a seal between the meter and the property, so that in the event of a gas leak, the gas will not get from the box into the building or fill the cavity walls and turn your home into a bomb. So if you did have the box removed, you couldn't have the meter in that location.

ive worked on 100's that can be removed to leave the back plate and meter

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I think my box is of a type that slides off over the top. As long as the wall is sound with no gaps around the inbound pipe is it safe/legal to remove it?

you dont just need to make access to the meter, it also needs to be adequately protected from the elements.

Smart, it makes a useful table to put a nice glass of wine on (or whatever beverage takes your fancy) All you need now is some decent weather to enjoy it :rolleyes: Hope it's not so heavily disguised now that a new meter reader might miss it.

Smart, it makes a useful table to put a nice glass of wine on (or whatever beverage takes your fancy) All you need now is some decent weather to enjoy it :rolleyes: Hope it's not so heavily disguised now that a new meter reader might miss it.

Cheers. Yeah the sun would be nice - all it's doing currently is keeping the meter box dry!

I'm planning on mounting a plastic dog tag style disc in back on yellow with "GAS METER INSIDE" written on it. Hopefully that should do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back