External gas meter box is in the way of our new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 3 year old house and our gas meter box is an outside wall. It's inside a typical white box.

We're planning an extension that would mean if we didn't move our external gas meter box, it would be inside our new utility room.

What I wanted to know is whether or not the gas regulations would allow us to do this i.e. by keeping it where it is, it would change from being an external meter box to an internal meter box. It wouldn't be inside a cupboard or anything like that so would be easily accesible from inside the room.

If we did have to move it, it would have to move just under 2 metres to be on the outside of our new external wall.

Not sure if the gas regulations change between different countries in the UK but just in case, we're in Central Scotland.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure you would not be allowed to build over the existing service pipe coming to meter box which would be the case when leaving the meter where it is therefore moving it to outside is the way to go.

Been to plenty houses where the meter is in a meter box which was on an outside wall, but now in an extension. can not find anything which says no. But I would still check for latest standards/regs with local transporter eg Transco/United Utilities

You cannot build a wall over the mains. I don't think you can do it even if it is lintled. I,ll check

Sponsored Links
you are only allowed to this if the supply pipe to the meter is not plastic.

If it's plastic then it is does not comply with fire regs

but you still need transco to approve this

As Snb said you will have no option but to have it relocated as with an external box, the supply will, in 99.9% of cases, be plastic.
If you don't move it, the first meter reader to come along will report it and it will cause a fair bit of hastle.

Ring SGN for advice.

It will probably cost around £500 depending on distance.

Look at page 11 here

http://www.sgn.co.uk/ScotiaGas/uplo...harges/StandardChargesScotlandGasNetworks.pdf

Tamz is the man to listen to.
But prices have gone up recently in certain parts of the country so maybe around 700 :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back