Gas meter, external to recessed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to make our gas meter and box, recessed not external, as it is at the moment. The ECV would have to be re-positioned as well as the meter. Is this a network job or a Corgi gas fitter job?
The reason we want to move it flush is because we have a regular visitor in a wheelchair and the space is awkward for them to maneuver without whacking the box.

Sponsored Links
When you get a quotation then you may decide that an occasional whack is easier to live with.

We swapped from one to the other but moved it at the same time.

I bought and fitted the recessed box, cost about £25 for the box. Then the gas board did the outside pipe and a gas engineer drilled through and connected inside.

Gas board charged £475 and the gas man £100.

If you fit your own box, don't drill it, you need to fix it with expending foam or some other adhesive.

Sponsored Links
It's a gas transporter job

Incidentally Corgi ceased to be the registration body for gas engineers eight years ago. It's Gas Safe now. Anyone claiming to be Corgi registered for gas is likely to be dodgy

They may be sympathetic if you explain the situation with wheel chair access.
Not all large corporations are heartless bar stewards contrary to popular opinion!

SGN surveyor came round and went over two options. One is the recessed meter box and the other is a semi-concealed type meter box. We have cavity fill insulation installed, it's the blown type. He did say that his recommended option is the semi-concealed box, but reposition around the corner and therefore out of the way of wheelchair traffic.
So couple of questions to help me decide....the semi-concealed box looks like this... 1_3.jpg the description says it can be partly buried in the ground (in our case blocked paving) is that usually possible? The surveyor did say something about smart meters being sensitive to damp in part buried boxes, but I think he was referring to the older style which had more of the box below ground.

Does cutting a hole in the wall present other problems? Those boxes are 160mm deep, will that mean the inner skin will have to be cut away to take the depth?

Cost wise is very similar.

I just cut the outer skin of mine and then sealed it in with expanding foam. It was easy to do, 4 saw cuts then wiggle the bricks out. Once I pressed the box in I leant a plank and a slab against it while the foam cured.

I think the recess box comes in two parts, the box that goes in the wall/cavity and an architrave part that is screwed to the box and sits flush on the wall. Is that correct?
Then if I am correct the incoming pipe is fitted within the architrave section by the network guy.

Yes, 1 part and you can't drill it to fix it or they will refuse it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back