New gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a quote for a new gas meter

£750 for the pipe work from rd to the side of the building.

They provide a gas box only

So I also need a meter from the supplier and this is another £110.

Just checking this is all normal?

Sponsored Links
I don't think you pay seperately for the meter. The meter is supplied by the gas supplier and billed as the standing daily charge.

Who is installing the pipework?

Sponsored Links
northern gas networks, but i do have to buy a meter from my gas supplier, or really it is the connection of the meter onto the gas pipe i am paying for. So it £860 in total it seems.

If they are like Cadent then the people who install the pipes wont be the same people who connect the meter. When I had a meter moved it required at least 13 people from Cadent to do the job, most of them arriving in separate vehicles. The people who dug the hole couldn't fill it in because that needed the "reinstatement team". The Reinstatement team couldn't take away the barriers that went around the hole. The chap who screwed the meter box to the wall couldn't install the existing meter into it, and so it went on. When I asked them what time they expected to get the job finished on the last day they said it wouldn't be before 4pm because if they finished earlier than that they would get tasked onto another job, they managed to make about 4 hours work last all day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back