Gas Meter Move - Drive Way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could provide some advice, I currently have an external gas meter which is connected to the side of the house and faces onto the drive way.

Although it is possible to reverse a car down the drive way past the box the drive way is small and there is about 2 - 4 inch gap between the car and the meter box and feels a little too close for comfort.

The box was installed before we purchased/moved into the house.

The ideal solution would be to move the gas box further down the drive way where there is a recess in the wall which would mean extending the gas pipes by another 5 meters (approx) down the drive. This would also require digging the up the drive....not a problem for me.

I had a quote from the contractor who works in partnership with my gas supplier. The quote was for a sunken box at the front of the house, I would then need to arrange a new meter and an engineer to fit the gas to the meter. I'm not too keen on this as this would then mean having gas piping exposed at the front of the house.

The contractor was reluctant to my suggest due to the job not being big enough, there didn't seem to be any regulatory reason why the work couldn't be carried out.

I'm happy to pay for the work as this is upon my request rather than there being an issue. It would seem that if the Gas company isn't interested then it is tuff luck, would be grateful if someone could advise if this is the case or if there is another option.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused. Did you apply for the quote throgh the gas supplier,or did you go direct?

Could you not have a recessed box fitted at the existing meter
position? No digging or new pipe runs required.

Thanks for the response back....

Expertgasman - I went direct to the retail gas supplier (British Gas) who work with partners to carry out this type of work...or so it would seem.

Gasop - The house is a 1860 built house, unfortunately the house (or the style we live in) is a single wall (2 bricks thick). Inserting the meter into the wall would have it exposed to the hallway inside the house. It would seem an additional room was added to the back of the house later on. This room is not flush with rest of the outside wall to the house. Hence the idea of moving the meter would make it easier/safer to park.

Sponsored Links
The contractor was reluctant to my suggest due to the job not being big enough, there didn't seem to be any regulatory reason why the work couldn't be carried out.

I'm happy to pay for the work as this is upon my request

I would go back to Bg to express disatisfaction, as it seems nonsensical. If you think about it, no job is "to small", only the bill may be. For this reason, a large outfit may quote their minimum price, regardless of how little work or material is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back