Main Gas pipe query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brief history:
1970s house originally with understairs, external access store (coal store some would say). This was then blocked up and opened up internally for under-stairs toilet.

No gas originally, but 20 years ago central heating fitted. Gas meter is on side of house in one of those white boxes. All pipe work can be seen.

Today:
DIYing the downstairs toilet and remove some boxing in section. Find what I would say is a gas pipe, capped and with a padlock on. It’s in the way - I want it removed.

I’m not stupid enough to try it myself but my questions would be:

a) Who can I get to move this pipe if it is live? Any GasSafe plumber or would it need to be the gas board?

b) Being as the gas meter is outside, might they have disconnected the pipe and diverted it to the meter. You can see they have at some point dug up the drive where the new pipe comes up from the floor and into meter. Would a house have 2 live gas pipes, they would have had to put a T junction under the drive to do this.

TIA

Attachments

• BBBF58A1-1021-4102-A4FC-F4634E8E1834.jpeg
    BBBF58A1-1021-4102-A4FC-F4634E8E1834.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
just contact the gas transporter they will come out FOC and test to see if it is still connected

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't abandoned when the new service was put in, (may have even inserted the new plastic service through the old steel service for part of it's run), but get the Gas People in to check before doing anything with it. Not a job for a GasSafe engineer as was/is on the Transporter's side of the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back