Underground gas pipe not compliant (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This site does not support DIY gas work.
A few years ago I relocated the gas meter away from the house. I then dug a trench and buried a yellow gas pipe MDPE 32mm, that would run from the gas meter to the house.

The heating engineer who visited to connect the services took a look at the emerging pipe and said it is not right and I need a "trackt" pipe or something similar.

She also mentioned that the gas meter may be too small to handle two boilers and the gas pressure may drop a lot due to the large distances involved.

Could anyone please advise me, do we know the pressure at my new meter location? Is it recorded anywhere? Why is my yellow gas pipe not suitable so that the engineer is refusing to use it?

PS: Editing to add more detail.

Old system - underground pipe to gas meter, about 70-80 meters. Gas meter to boiler about 20 meters iron pipe. Two more outlets for gas fire and gas hob.

New system - underground pipe to gas meter, about 30 meters. Gas meter to boiler about 33 meters MDPE 32mm pipe. No boiler installed yet.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Yellow MDPE is not allowed above ground. All pipe above ground must be metal.
2. She is referring to Tracpipe which is a corrugated stainless steel, flexible, pipe. Presumably you could all use copper or steel.
3. The pressure FROM the meter into the gas carcase is regulated. Around 21 mbar plus or minus 2 mbar (from memory)

1 and 2 : So all I have to do is connect a copper pipe to my underground yellow gas pipe and all is good?

3: Are you saying that regardless of the mains gas pressure, once it goes past the meter it drops to 21 mbar?

Sponsored Links
21 mb as it leaves the meter, so depending o length of run you loose pressure , so how far is it and what size boilers

So find out boiler size then using online pipe sizing chart you will find the answer ,only 1 mb drop is the rule

OK, I have done some reading, it seems for the length of 33m MDPE 32mm I can accommodate about 40kW.

This is OK for a 30kW gas boiler which was my intention.

If I wanted more appliances, would I be able to ask for the gas meter to provide two separate outputs each with its own 21mbar pressure?

Attachments

• 2023-11-12 21_25_29-Gas Pipe Calculator.jpg
    2023-11-12 21_25_29-Gas Pipe Calculator.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 31
I'd leave it to the GSR that's doing the work, then it's their responsibility to get it right, they should know all requirements and sizing to cover the gas work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back