Gas Supply Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a rule of thumb sizing method for an underground MDPE gas supply pipe after the LP U16 boundary meter, the boundary meter is around 110m away from the building, it will be serving a 50kW boiler only. I am only curious as to what size the builder / RGI will need to price to make , an RGI will be carrying out all the work but one hasn't been chosen yet.

Possibly 32mm dia?

Sponsored Links
Not even close, it will need to be at least 50mm plus depend on the total length including what comes after the PE.

You also need a, commercial/industrial gas man to do the work, to test and purge it properly.

Why don't you get the gas distributor to come and quote for the work?

They should provide basic design information with their quote such as pipe route and size and if they do the job will effectively guarantee the pressure and flow capability of the pipe at completion. They are well used to extending their system and have all the experiance necessary to investigate, design, quote and install. You could dig any trenches yourself to reduce costs. But not expensive either in my experience.........well a lot cheaper and quicker than my local water company who will remain nameless in the SW!

Sponsored Links
Why don't you get the gas distributor to come and quote for the work?

They should provide basic design information with their quote such as pipe route and size and if they do the job will effectively guarantee the pressure and flow capability of the pipe at completion. They are well used to extending their system and have all the experiance necessary to investigate, design, quote and install. You could dig any trenches yourself to reduce costs. But not expensive either in my experience.........well a lot cheaper and quicker than my local water company who will remain nameless in the SW!

I very much doubt the gas distributor is qualified to do the job, including purging and testing. Let alone produce any paperwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back