GAS PIPE SIZE TO METER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing domestic size gas meter installed in my property, but will require a larger meter 16m3 capacity installed to cater for 2no.45kW boilers to serve a large extension. It looks like the supply pipe diameter from the road is 25mm yellow MDPE.

In your experience, have you seen these 1 inch dia. service pipes supplying U16 size gas meters before, and will it be adequate to serve a U16 capacoity meter (normal domestic size is U6 I believe).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's usually fine, though it would depend on length.
Remember it's higher pressure than after the meter regulator. The supplier (used to be Transco) will assess the available pressure before installing a U16 though.
From the meter on, you'll need a Commercial Gas Engineer, or a canny Domestic one.

It's usually fine.
Remember it's higher pressure than after the meter regulator. The supplier (used to be Transco) will assess the available pressure before installing a U16 though.

Thanks for the quick response. I understand it is National Grid now. Should be no problems then hopefully. I'll see how canny they are!

Length to property will be around 10-15m

You need to ask N/Grid what the service pressure is.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably be looking at 35mm pipe internally to carry the volume of gas required. The maximum length of 35mm pipe that an RGI with a domestic qualification can work on is around 10m with a U16 meter. Any more than that and you are looking at having someone commercially qualified. If the pipework is installed with a means of isolation close to each of the boilers a domestic installer will be able to work from this point on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back