Water meter connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boundary box water meter serving my average sized house. It feeds into an old underground galvanized pipe which I would like to replace with 25mm MDPE blue pipe. I know what I need to connect back into my system above ground and would like to dig the hole only once so:-

Can anyone tell me please what size and sort of fitting I need to get to connect to the output of my boundary box and anything else that might be relevant too.

Thanks in anticipation, Jim

PS Just edited my typo to 25mm as it should be.

Sponsored Links
50mm would be much bigger than necessary for an average 3/4 bed house. 32 is common but OTT. The major resistances are the valves, which cost a lot when big. Try getting a 50mm double check valve, for example.
The meter connection will be BSP, but if it's outside your boundary you technically aren't permitted to dig/fix it.
There are other considerations such as depth, bonding etc.
Plenty here. do a search.

Sorry I made a typo. The pipe is 25mm. I didn't realise that I'm not allowed to connect to the meter. That could be a major problem as I assume Severn trent will charge a fortune.

Jim

Sorry I made a typo. The pipe is 25mm. I didn't realise that I'm not allowed to connect to the meter. That could be a major problem as I assume Severn trent will charge a fortune.

Jim

Why do you think you are not allowed to connect yourself?
Around here, they charge about 500 for connection, if you dig the trench yourself and have the pipe ready in it.

Sponsored Links
The meter connection will be BSP, but if it's outside your boundary you technically aren't permitted to dig/fix it.

Why do you think you are not allowed to connect yourself?
I was basing my thoughts on what Chris R said above. My meter is in the pavement about a foot from my front garden wall. Right at this moment my garden wall has been removed prior to building another so it would be relatively easy to dig under the wall foundation to reach the side of the meter box where I assume the connection is. What I wanted to know is what the thread size(BSP?) is so I can get the appropriate fitting and do the whole job in one go.

Poor watercompany missing out on another 500 squid for an hour's work.

There are good reasons for not allowing you to work on their connections: they need to be able to rip you off.
they need to be able to rake the money in so they can keep wasting it.
if you do it yourself, you might cause a bit of dirt to enter their holy property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back