Connecting new / replacement supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,
I am about to replace my water supply pipe with a new stop cock and 25mm MDPE.
Thames Water have quoted almost £1K to reconnect to the water main just outside my boundary. Not keen…
Can I just connect the new 25mm MDPE pipe to the old lead pipe via a ¾’’ to 25 mm MDPE straight connector inside my boundary and keep Thames Water out of it?
I’m going through the lead replacement scheme ATM but know it’s a long shot…
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can do what you like with the pipework inside your boundary I'd think, just don't be surprised if the upgrade doesn't give you the performance you wanted or expected.

You can do what you like with the pipework inside your boundary I'd think, just don't be surprised if the upgrade doesn't give you the performance you wanted or expected.

Thanks. How come? The old pipe is probably very narrow. Thames Water reckoned it could be 5mm or so after calcifying.

Sponsored Links
I'd connect it at (or just under) your boundary.

I'd be amazed if your lead pipe had gone down to 5mm.

You might be lucky and find there's 25mm already in their bit, or maybe you could have a meter fitted for free?

I'd connect it at (or just under) your boundary.

I'd be amazed if your lead pipe had gone down to 5mm.

You might be lucky and find there's 25mm already in their bit, or maybe you could have a meter fitted for free?

Thames Water have no record of the communication pipe being replaced (from the main to water meter), they said it would have been just the water meter.

The guy who collected the lead samples reckoned it could be that narrow.....we shall see!

that's a pity. If you had a new one fitted you might have persuaded them to connect it to your new pipe, if you could get a stub close enough.

Is the meter right on the boundary?

I was in a similar position and connected 20mm blue to the half-inch lead just inside my boundary, it was less than a metre to the water meter under the pavement. It made a dramatic improvement. The old lead might have been squashed under the ground.

View media item 23858
the water mete was already fitted, otherwise I could have bashed through from my pit to theirs.

that's a pity. If you had a new one fitted you might have persuaded them to connect it to your new pipe, if you could get a stub close enough.

Is the meter right on the boundary?

Its about 8-10'' from my boundary. I reckon I'll be able to see the connection under the pavement from my property.

I was in a similar position and connected 20mm blue to the half-inch lead just inside my boundary, it was less than a metre to the water meter under the pavement. It made a dramatic improvement. The old lead might have been squashed under the ground.

View media item 23858
the water mete was already fitted, otherwise I could have bashed through from my pit to theirs.

Good to hear. I'm not expecting miracles but expect a noticeable improvement.

Its about 8-10'' from my boundary. I reckon I'll be able to see the connection under the pavement from my property.

If you're digging a pit like mine, maybe you could burrow a conduit and push through some plastic pipe to use if and when the meter is changed?

My builder said he'd dig up the pavement and connect to the meter himself, but I wasn't keen.

If you use the lead replacement scheme they might, at least, do a free connection. Some will replace their lead communication pipe when you replace yours. You MUST have the lead content test done before you start work.

If you're digging a pit like mine, maybe you could burrow a conduit and push through some plastic pipe to use if and when the meter is changed?

My builder said he'd dig up the pavement and connect to the meter himself, but I wasn't keen.

If you use the lead replacement scheme they might, at least, do a free connection. Some will replace their lead communication pipe when you replace yours. You MUST have the lead content test done before you start work.

I am going through the process ATM just to try and get a freebie and get the ball rolling. Tbh they tell me different things about the process when I talk to them. Its bloody annoying that some water companies replace it for free regardless of whether the lead readings are high or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back