Up dating our gas main/yellow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Southern gas are in our area and we are to have our gas supply renewed as part of the main replacement program.
So far, hole dug along the street and this morning a worker has said that in the next 2 days our gas pipe to the meter will be renewed. Says that ours is a plastic type that was fitted some time ago and will need to be changed to the yellow type, can't run the new yellow inside so has come up with various plans as to how to get the new yellow to the meter.
Can I ask them to do a like-for-like pipe run ie or do I have to except their proposal?
As it stands, it's a straight run from the outside gas main, under our drive, through the footings, under the floor boards to the meter.
So why can't the old pipe be removed and new fitted. The pipes that I can see at the meter are iron so this old but plastic pipe must be connected at some place along the pipe run.
This house was built in 1935 with a gas supply. Any info or ideas would be welcome.
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back