Yellow MDPE used for mains water

Grey downpipe is the electrical supply.
Are you talking about the grey pipe you patched and believe to be the electrical supply ? Is that grey pipe the same one that comes through the wall with a water pipe inside it, if is then your electrical supply is elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Looks like that could be in BT duct. A death trap.
I'm fairly sure it's 60mm downpipe he's used as ducting through the cavity. It matches the downpipes on some of the gutters. Not sure why the electricity board would run their feed though that mind you? But I have about 700 other major defects and urgent repairs to do so I'm not poking about with that. Power works at the board. Not that there isn't a whole heap of electrical issues elsewhere. But I don't have the time to investigate everything. Flooding, subsidence and leaking roofs take priority.

Are you talking about the grey pipe you patched and believe to be the electrical supply ? Is that grey pipe the same one that comes through the wall with a water pipe inside it, if is then your electrical supply is elsewhere.
There are three grey 60mm pipes through that wall. Measurements are king. I measured from the new vent pipe in the basement which I installed so I know its location is absolute on both sides of the wall. I know the electrical supply is 60cm below the vent pipe at 20cm to the side. I know the two water pipes are 75cm below the vent pipe at 27cm to the side. Everything is accounted for exactly where it should be.

Expect the yellow 25mm MDPE that changes to 20mm Blue MDPE inside that 60mm pipe.

Water company would never have connected up anything yellow to their network so you may find it is an illicit connection made by bodger the builder.

If the blue pipe is still live then a possible solution might involve in capping off the yellow one and re-purposing the blue. But best to leave that to the water co. now you have got them involved.

Sponsored Links
I can’t see any exposed mains voltage or conductors. There’s at least 3 stopcocks there, guessing it’s the blue mdpe one? As per @HERTS P&D will be interesting to hear/see outcome.

Last edited:
Water company would never have connected up anything yellow to their network so you may find it is an illicit connection made by bodger the builder.

If the blue pipe is still live then a possible solution might involve in capping off the yellow one and re-purposing the blue. But best to leave that to the water co. now you have got them involved.
Interestingly that's our nick name for him. It's been one nightmare after another. Failed to install tanking on the basement, failed to install ventilation, studs framed with scrap pallet wood, missing insulation, DIY OPA wiring, internal twin & earth cemented under the drive. External lighting trunked in hose pipe, joists all needed sistering as only rated for half the span. Gas pipes not supported over a 5 meter run, all wrong size. Substandard slates on the roof. No drainage in retaining walls. No supports in 3 meter high retaining walls. Drive angle too steep. Not a single square wall and not a single level surface. Interior finished with softwood planks, flooded chipboard flooring all had to be ripped out. DIY window casements, every glazing unit was blown. Gutters, downpipes all missing or damaged. Asbestos used as fence panels. Consumer unit relocated but every cable cut, stuffed in junction boxes and hidden in wet cavity space. List goes on.

So we just assume this is another one of his f**k ups. Been fixing this place for a year and a half and not even a third of the way to being done.

I can’t see any exposed mains voltage or conductors. There’s at least 3 stopcock so there, guessing it’s the blue mdpe one? As per @HERTS P&D will be interesting to hear/see outcome.
I'm not about to try and renew or replace a live stopcock next to this;
P_20230806_173846.jpg

As for the blue one. As I already explained there are two blue coming out the basement internal wall and one blue and one yellow going in. So the yellow is feeding the mains supply.

There isn't much to video it's dripping a couple of drops every second at a rate of about 10 litres every 12 hours. So it's likely going to be the gland washer has failed.

I'll post an update Tuesday evening what the water board say.
You could hire a puddle pump to save you bucketing out the water. Until the board come to have a look.
Thanks its manageable as is for a few days. If it got any worse or someone isn't going to be around to watch it, I can commission the slump pump temporarily.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks its manageable as is for a few days. If it got any worse or someone isn't going to be around to watch it, I can commission the slump pump temporarily.

Puddle pump not sump pump... It works in a puddle not a deep hole.

1. That is not near the electrics!

2. A puddle pump empties down to 2mm.

3. Can you circle or point to what is leaking.

Andy

Come on Chris, we have all worked on pipework that is a lot nearer.

Get some plastic sheeting and gorilla tape it to the wall and get the plumbing sorted.

Andy

• Thanks
Puddle pump not sump pump... It works in a puddle not a deep hole.
I know, but if you already have a pit that's got a slump pump in it, you can use that.

1. That is not near the electrics!

2. A puddle pump empties down to 2mm.

3. Can you circle or point to what is leaking.

Andy
Wait, you'll cry about the dangers about cutting an incorrectly coloured water pipe but urge people to open mains pressure water feed next to a 100amp 240v electrical supply?

It's leaking from the centre spindle. Hence it's going to be the gland washer and perhaps also the head gear washer that's crumbled. Either way it needs to be opened or swapped out.

Wait, you'll cry about the dangers about cutting an incorrectly coloured water pipe but urge people to open mains pressure water feed next to a 100amp 240v electrical supply?

It's leaking from the centre spindle. Hence it's going to be the gland washer and perhaps also the head gear washer that's crumbled. Either way it needs to be opened or swapped out.

Hang On, cutting through a gas pipe is a lot different from fixing a leaking gland nut on a stop tap,

Any plumber can fix your leak in 2 mins! Or even someone with basic diy skills.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back