Yellow MDPE used for mains water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice. Our stopcock is peeing water in the basement. It's right next to the electricity meter and fuse board.

We can't find an external street meter or stopcock and the water board hasn't a clue where the feed is. So I've excavated the back yard and exposed the pipework. It seems the mains feed is in yellow 25mm MDPE pipe. The stopcock in the basement is attached to 20mm blue MDPE. I'm assuming they ran the 20mm blue inside the 25mm yellow.

The house was built in 1992. Why would they use yellow pipe? Is this common practice?

I need to use a squeeze off tool to cut the supply so I can fit an external stopcock. Will clamping off twin pipe work or do I need to cut out a section of yellow pipe first?

Sponsored Links
YELLOW IS GAS!!!

Get a squeeze off tool:

Or call a plumber and make sure he has one!

Andy

Reactions: CBW
Rang the water board and explained we believe the water is being fed by yellow MDPE. I'm 100% sure it's not gas because I can see the gas feed above it on a separate black pipe. Doesn't help there is a second blue MDPE next to it supplying an outhouse.

They are sending someone out to take a look next week. I just need to keep bailing water out every few hours for now. I would get a plumber in but being as I've already done most the work it's a bit redundant now. They couldn't get at the stopcock with the water supply live and no one knows where the meter is.

My guess is someone used yellow 25mm to twin wall the blue MDPE. Knowing the builder of the house was a complete cowboy I expect it was him.

Sponsored Links
Rang the water board and explained we believe the water is being fed by yellow MDPE. I'm 100% sure it's not gas because I can see the gas feed above it on a separate black pipe
Sorry this must be a wind up ? the yellow is gas the black is not

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Seriously! Black pipe from top of image is gas to meter box. Grey downpipe is the electrical supply. (I patched it because I opened it up to see what it was) blue MDPE on left supplies redundant outhouse. (who builds an outhouse in this day and age!) yellow MDPE is mains water. (see threaded rod I used to mark from the internal stopcock)
P_20230805_151855.jpg

SQUEEZE OFF TOOL!
Andy, I can't. There is no space to squeeze off in the basement. Has to be done externally.

sorry but you are wrong the yellow is gas the blue is water, expose them properly and run a cold tap at full flow and feel the pipes the one getting cold is the water, the blue one
I'm not wrong at all. I can see the pipe in the basement and the rod all the way through. What, do you think gas gets pumped into taps? The blue is to a toilet that has been disabled. I can see the loop next to the stopcock. There is minimal space to expose further. I'll excavate the pit further down to cut into the pipe once the water company explains why the feed is being run through yellow and see if they can find the meter. If it wasn't flooding due to the summer weather I would get the thermal camera on it. But the mains water is definitely being supplied through that yellow MDPE.

They are sending someone out to take a look next week.
Until they can provide you with accurate information about the pipes do nothing at all to the pipes,

Damaging the pipe that is your gas supply will create a gas leak that will put you and your family at risk of serious harm.

I need some advice. Our stopcock is peeing water in the basement. It's right next to the electricity meter and fuse board.
How about a photo of the stopcock and leak - we may be able to suggest a less devisive fix?

The blue is to a toilet that has been disabled.
Then there wouldn't be any harm squeezing off the blue one, and seeing what happens?

Until they can provide you with accurate information about the pipes do nothing at all to the pipes,

Damaging the pipe that is your gas supply will create a gas leak that will put you and your family at risk of serious harm.
Wasn't planning on it until they have had a look.

How about a photo of the stopcock and leak - we may be able to suggest a less devisive fix?

Then there wouldn't be any harm squeezing off the blue one, and seeing what happens?
The attached are the basement feeds. No gas supply enters that wall. The only feeds in here are the phase tails for the electricity supply and two "BLUE" MDPE 20mm pipes. On the other side there is one blue 20mm and one 25mm yellow.

I can't touch that stopcock live when it's a foot away from exposed main voltage. Squeezing the blue pipe does nothing as its empty. I can open and close the right hand stop cock and see water start/stop at the outhouse without impacting the main house. The left hand stop cock shuts off the whole supply.

Attachments

• P_20230806_082234.jpg
    P_20230806_082234.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 114
  • P_20230806_082159.jpg
    P_20230806_082159.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 106
You could hire a puddle pump to save you bucketing out the water. Until the board come to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back