Calling all spreads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please.
I am preping for a spread to do our lounge and concerned about the stability of the old emulsion paint.
It comes of quite easily as the skim below is powdery on the surface.
Is this ok or should it all come off before he comes?

Thanks A.Plumber

PS not really in China ;)

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t sound good, any new skim will only be a well fixed as the base your putting it onto. I would ask your plasterer to take a look at it before you go any further & let him decide; he may be able to get around the paint problem but if the plaster below is in poor condition it may have to come off but if the base coat has also blown, you may end up back on the blocks!

I would also advise you discuss any prep work with your plasterer before you do anything. If I do all the prep & it goes wrong (almost never) it’s got to be my fault but if you do it & it goes wrong, who do you think is almost certainly going to get the blame :cry: ! Some won’t mind but you should always ask first & follow their instructions to the letter. ;)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my plastera is a headless chicken who wants it all done for him!
Plaster seems stable so think unibond should stabilise it!

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my plastera is a headless chicken who wants it all done for him!
If he’s not prepared to advise you, I would get a new plasterer. :confused:

Plaster seems stable so think unibond should stabilise it!
You said the skim was powdery :?: Unibond (PVA) is a bonding sealing agent, it will seal/bond the plaster skim to the emulsion paint but if the paint isn’t sticking to the plaster or the plaster itself isn’t sound, the skim may fall off in front of you & your plasterer's very eyes as it cures. :eek:

Sponsored Links
ok shall heed your advice and tell him of concerns. Thanks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back