Can 70W HPS lamps cycle due to a faulty ballast and not a end-of-life/faulty lamp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to fix a 70W HPS fixture (ignitor internal to lamp) at a neighbors the other day after he mentioned it had stopped working. Said it had recently gone out and put a new new-old stock lamp in himself, but that did not last long until it went out again, so I went over and swapped the bulb over with another new-old spare that he had, and then noticed the lamp started cycling.

Got me thinking, can a faulty ballast cause the lamp to cycle in addition to a issue with the lamp itself; is it most likley to be a Ballast issue or a defective batch of supposedly new-old stock HPS lamps that he had lying around?

Aside from the fact I needed to re-gland the SWA cable going into the fixture as the armour part of cable was not in the gland and the gland used was just a normal plastic nylon compression gland and not a SWA one; I want to know if the fault is with the ballast or the lamp/s? I did also notice there was no PF correction capacitor, but it may have come out the factory like that.

Anyway, my neighbor has ordered a new 70W HPS lamp of Amazon (hopefully one with a internal ignitor), after the new-old stock spare that he had, quickly started cycling when I put it in. If the new one from Amazon does the same thing, then I guess it's the ballast.

And yes I am aware there are fixtures more efficient than HPS lamps these days, but my neighbour wanted to maintain the orange colour of the lamp, even though you could stick a gel filter over a LED fixture.

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back