70W HPS bulb on 230V mains with No Ballast - Just trips the MCB :(

Does it matter? Over the years I have cleaned out the different vans or cars and the garage has gained MCB's, bulbs, and other junk which should have really been binned, but I thought it may come in use full. Some with books full Lucas Workshop manual but I have not worked on vehicle electrics for 25 years. Some I have given away to good homes, but only people working on vintage cars would want most of the car books, and electrics are worse who wants a 15th edition on site guide? Normally the week after it goes in the bin some one asks if I have one.

Sponsored Links
So today I did a little experiment and thought I would see what would happen...
"So" is a linking conjunction.

If it would have made no sense, and been obviously wrong for you to have written

And today I did a little experiment and thought I would see what would happen...

or

But today I did a little experiment and thought I would see what would happen...

Then it was equally senseless and wrong to have started with the word "So".

Sponsored Links
Don't even get me started. I have to bite my tongue (fingers?) every time. What seems to be the only pronoun he uses.

Are you referencing me? :mad: This is not a English literature forum is it....:whistle:

No, it isn't.

It isn't even an English language one.

But some excrescences are so egregious that they earn excoriation.

Just a few photos of the 70W HPS bulb with the dead internal ignitor. Does anyone know what the little square tab thing is as pointed out by the red arrow in the 2nd photo. I also take it the bit of glass as shown by the blue arrow in the 3rd photo is just left over from the manufacturing process and has no role in the bulbs operation.

View 1:

View 2:

View 3:

The square part is the 'getter' and when it is activated during manufacture it helps absorb any gasses remaing in the envelope after evacuation. See here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back