Can A 15mm Water Supply Pipe Feed Two Flats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping a friend who has a 1930s terrace shop, with a 2 bed flat above. He wants to convert the shop downstairs into a 2 bed flat as well. The plumbing in the flat and shop haven't been touched for 50 years.

The water supply comes in under the downstairs shop floor. There is a stop tap 2 feet from frontage inside front door, a lead pipe then runs under the shop floor to the back, which feeds the shop's outside loo, and also goes up to the flat above.

He wants to disconnect the lead pipe at the stop tap, and put a new pipe up through building, into loft then acrooss roof space, then tee 2 pipes off. Each of these 2 pipes will drop down to feed each flat.

My question is can the new pipe from the stop tap, up to where it tees in the loft, be in 15mm, or does it need to be bigger (eg 22mm) as it is supplying 2 flats?

Sponsored Links
I seriously doubt a 15mm single supply would cope with 2 flats. It won't help to run it in 22mm as the single 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch? lead pipe can only cope with so much flow.

Better to rum a 30mm mdpe supply and split this

Plenty of very large houses run on 15mm so I suspect it would be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back