Water supply pipes, who owns what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I live in an upstairs flat. A pipe burst fully inside of the space of the flat below just below the ceiling. The supply to the flat below tees off immediately after a stopcock under my floorboards. If I turn the stopcock off, its turns off supply to both flats. My question is: who is responsible for the burst pipe, me or the owner of the flat downstairs? I own the leasehold of the flat below.

The owner of the flat below insists that I am responsible because I ultimately supply his water. I insist that it is not my problem because the responsibility for pipework from his flat leading up to my stopcock is technically his, even if part of his supply pipe and the stopcock is under my floorboards. I.e, my responsibility ends at the point where his water tees off. Who's right...?

We've both had our water supplys cut off for two days now to prevent further damage while we argue over whos going to repair the pipe. Please help!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Do you both have insurance cover ?
If you do You could let both insurers resolve it between them.
I know what I would do in the short term. In your property cut his supply pipe ,cap the pipe and put your water back on.

If you own the freehold to the downstairs flat I would have thought you were liable for the pipework

I own the leasehold of the flat below.
The terms of the lease should set out landlord and leaseholder responsibilities for property mintenance. Have you checked? Have you contacted the landlord?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back