can a combi boiler be left running with the mains supply off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm leaving my house empty for February, and wondered whether I could leave the central heating on if I turn the main water supply off? Its a Worcester CDi combi. I was thinking of leaving the thermostat set at about 10 degrees and the heating set on 'on', to keep the house OK for the duration. But it would be good to be able to turn the main off as well while I'm away. Will this work? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yea, it's fine. Do you have any water pipes or boiler in loft? Are they well insulated? If theres any worries there, leave the hatch open. I wouldn't neccesarily leave the stat as high as 10 degrees, it's a bit wasteful[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Yea, it's fine. Do you have any water pipes or boiler in loft? Are they well insulated? If theres any worries there, leave the hatch open. I wouldn't neccesarily leave the stat as high as 10 degrees, it's a bit wasteful
[/quote]

The loft tanks are empty - the whole system is mains pressure since the combi was fitted. But as I have pipes running in various floor and wall ducts I wanted to keep the structure warm. Having the main 'off' would be very reassuring, as a neighbour had his house completely wrecked last year when he had a burst whilst away on holiday. And given what we experienced before Christmas (minus 12 here for 3 nights running), bettre safe than sorry.

I take your point about 10 being a bit generous. But there are parts of the house that get quite a bit colder than the 'stat location. So I thought that would be a reasonably safe option. Might risk 8 if I'm feeing brave!

Thanks for your advice.

yeah id definitly agree with your line of thoughts.
For all it will cost as apposed to the amount of problems it could lead to id leave it on 24hrs at 10degrees, fingers crossed it wont need to kick in much!

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back