Can A Diluted Solution Of PVA Be Sprayed ?

Thanks for all your help. If the pliolite paint is acknowledged as a solution to iron ore weeping from painted pea shell pebbledash it seems that the "All Seasons" option is the way to go. Has anyone actually used this type of paint on pea shell pebbledash prone to iron ore weeping and checked the finish say 6 years later to see if there had been weeping?

Subject to using the "All Seasons", for a first coat would I exceed the dilution instructions on the tin or stick with the recommended dilution of 1 part thinners to 10 parts paint? This dilution ratio was taken from the dulux system info pasted below:

"Seal new or bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of All Seasons Masonry Paint (up to 1 part white spirit to 10 parts paint) The normal finishing process is 2 full coats of Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint. On previously painted surfaces in good condition, where similar colours are used 1 coat may be sufficient."

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
I sent an enquiry to the Dulux help line and will post their reply when answered as it may be of interest to others.

I suppose another option would be to get the wall imaged with a ferroscope to locate the areas with higher than background iron ore content. These areas could then be treated independently before painting the entire wall. This would allow me to use the standard Weathershield at £17 per tin less cost for most of the wall except for a few snowball size patches highlighted by the ferroscope. I calculated the paint prices per 5 litres for the selected colour which is "off the shelf" in normal Weathershield but "added pigment" in the All Seasons range.

Rgds
Jack

I must get 1 of those ferroscopes for the next time I go to estimate a dash. Could come in real handy looking for that iron ore ..just in case.

Then, I'll calculate the materials - that's with and without the pigment.

Sponsored Links
I must get 1 of those ferroscopes for the next time I go to estimate a dash. Could come in real handy looking for that iron ore ..just in case.

Then, I'll calculate the materials - that's with and without the pigment.

Growler,

Them ferroscopes are real hard to come by, they are only available for hire and that is for only one half day per year.

Is there much call for dash in Antarctica, them penguins trade in fish not brass?

Rgds
Jack

Does this "tradesman" (y'know , the 1 with 40 years experience) not have a ferroscope :?: for all this iron ore down your way.. I mean he must have if he's advised you to spray it with PVA and it works for him. He must have known it was full of iron ore to seal it.
The ones he hasn't sealed with PVA, must be crying :( out loud.

40 years eh.

I hate to see a grown wall cry. :cry: :cry:

Take them specs off Joe then you will see sweet F.... Wall. Mind you, them Jews have a wailing wall, perhaps you and that Growler should see if they are interested in a bit of paint to spruce it up and stop it wailing.

PMSL

Jack

I sprayed my heavy pebble dashed walls [20mm] with masonary paint and added a small amount of pva to each can before spraying, worked very well and still good after 12 years.[It was at the suggestion of a very experienced decorator.]Would have been impossible to roller due to coarse nature of dashing, and much quicker, only took a day to do entire house [end of terrace]

foxhole,

Thanks for the info, if you can remember back 12 years, what equipment did you use for spraying and how many coats did you give it?

Rgds
Jack

I found a "picture" of Jesus on a pebbledash wall that Dad( 40+ years a dec.)and me were going to snowcem . :eek: . Nah , tosh it over says dad after I`d offered to take a photo with my Brownie . He`d weep if he saw your work , boy. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back