Can a scratch coat alone protect against a bit of damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From reading the post that CD1 is struggling with, I was wondering about something, but thought I'd pop my Q on a new thread.

If you have a wall exhibiting a bit of damp on part of it, then covering with a render with waterproofer should minimise effects.

Two possible scenarios are
A) two coats render - scratch coat with waterproofer (maybe float coat also) and multi finish skim over
B) scratch coat of render with waterproofer, float with Bonding and multi finish skim

I was thinking B may be quicker, as the Bonding float will be quicker to set than the Render float and can skim same day. But I wasn't sure if the solution B had more chance of problems later, as the waterproof render is thinner.
Any views?

Sponsored Links
If you've got damp issues you don't want a gypsum plaster.

Sponsored Links
As Joe says. Also, might be more to sorting the damp than re doing the affected area?

I agree, if you can fix the damp you should.
I was more thinking about the sort of scenario that CluelessDIYer seems to be having with high levels of moisture under the floor, when there may not be an easy solution to the damp.
Some render with a waterproofer in it on the lower half of the wall may help a situation such as this example.

I had a situation in my last house, where I plastered the internal porch, and the lower 2 ft developed evidence of damp and some salts coming through - it wouldn't dry out.
I'm not sure if the DPC wasn't very effective or missing in this area, the rest of the house was fine.
I took off about the bottom 3 ft and replaced with render + water proofer and re-skimmed the whole wall. It was fine after that.

My question was really that can a scratch coat alone help protect any gypsum on top, or would it need both coats of render (scratch + float) to give it the best chance to help?

I suppose if any damp is caused by condensation, then it's not going to help at all! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back