Can any plumbers recommend heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a gravity fed central heating system combined with an ageing Potterton boiler.
Two bathrooms and eleven radiators. Soon I plan to have both bathrooms refurbished possibly
into wet rooms so I feel it would make sense to replace the existing boiler & tanks with
a more modern system. I frequently use the shower which is an Aqulisa power shower which gives a flow rate of approx. 16 litres per min. but the hot tank runs dry after about 10 mins or maybe 12 if the water is heated at max temp. for an hour plus. The flow rate from the kitchen cold tap is 18-19 litres per min. What I'm looking for is a set up which will
allow shower time to be extended to 20-25 mins with at least 18 litres/min but using standard mixer showers which I have already bought. Any advise would be appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you might want a larger hot water cylinder, maybe twice the size of your present one, and raising your cold tank higher up in your loft should help a bit. How ageing is ageing? We've had someone on here thinking 8 years is ageing recently!! Do you know what the model is?

Thanks for reply system was installed in 1989 the year of construction & is called a GLOW-WORM FUELSAVER MK2

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry a plumber on a recent visit said it was very similar design to Potterton but its defo a GLOW WORM FULESAVER MK2 boiler my mistake
just checked on the metal cover.

Ok, well you could also upgrade that if you wanted to...an Intergas HRE 18 OV would make a great replacement, and if you went for a high-recovery hot water cylinder you wouldn't need such a large one as it would heat up in about 20 minutes

Is this a better solution than a high power combi such as glow-worm 35c store combi/Valliant 938 storage or 300 litre unvented cylinder combined with
system boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back