Can anyone work out if I could afford to have a child?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound bizarre, but me and the other half have discussed this, but financially I don't have a clue how things work(benefits etc?), and even some of our good neighbours (and are actual long term friends)who have kids are cagey about the financial side of things(ie what they get for their govt subsidised offspring!).
We've both worked all our lives, and if one of us has to stop work to raise a kid(it would probably be me...gulp), could we even afford it?
Do stay at home mums/dads get income support or something if they aren't actively looking for work? How does this system work? I looked at this site which looks like a degree in itself:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check?gclid=CPeVpoa92q0CFcsKtAoddmw8lg
I spend so much on travel that my job would be better off going, so what "help"(=charity) would we get based on her income of £20k pa, with me not working at all looking after the sprog and the dog at home?
Help me out before it's too late, we're both getting on a bit now :eek:

Sponsored Links
I can't see you getting anything. Why should you anyway?

Sponsored Links
Because every other peasant does, I've paid enough tax to raise some other uneducated plebs kids, don't I get a go?!

£47.54 a week according to that handy calculator.... which won't even make a dent in the loss of one wage.
That's why there's an erosion of the educated people who should be breeding in this country and an explosion of children from our bloated thicko underclass...

The chavs are professional baby making machines. That's their job. :mrgreen:

Having a child, shouldn't be down to money at all. It should be down to whether you both feel able to raise a child, love that child and do the best you can for that child. ;) ;)

PS I don't think anyone has a child because they'll get £47 odd a week. Best idea is to have about 9 or 10 kids and live very comfortably off. Safe in the knowledge that even in a recession, your benefits are ringfenced and will go up. ;) ;) ;) ;)

And it will cost you about £250k over the years. (lost wages etc).

Having a child, shouldn't be down to money at all. It should be down to whether you both feel able to raise a child, love that child and do the best you can for that child

Yes, JJ....but I'm sure that child would like to have a roof over it's head too. Unfortunately for so many people in the "middle" ground who aspire to have a decent place to live etc it's often not financially feasible to have a family, we just continually get taxed and pay into a system that gives nothing back whatsoever.
Those with nothing have nothing better to do than pump them out like ignorant third world peasants.

Maybe it's what the upper class are striving for anyway. The middle will eradicate itself eventually and it'll be back to the landed gentry and peasants.

Sponsored Links
Back