Can anyone work out if I could afford to have a child?!!

Sponsored Links
ABCwarrior";p="2263039 said:
This may sound bizarre, but me and the other half have discussed this, but financially I don't have a clue how things work(benefits etc?), and even some of our good neighbours (and are actual long term friends)who have kids are cagey about the financial side of things(ie what they get for their govt subsidised offspring!).
We've both worked all our lives, and if one of us has to stop work to raise a kid(it would probably be me...gulp), could we even afford it?
Do stay at home mums/dads get income support or something if they aren't actively looking for work? How does this system work? I looked at this site which looks like a degree in itself:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check?gclid=CPeVpoa92q0CFcsKtAoddmw8lg
I spend so much on travel that my job would be better off going, so what "help"(=charity) would we get based on her income of £20k pa, with me not working at all looking after the sprog and the dog at home?
Help me out before it's too late, we're both getting on a bit now :eek:

A chance to screw the system, take it, your MP is doing it, support him, do what your MP does.

rather than giving up work totally, you could work part time perhaps, you would be intitled to some family tax credits towards child care its between 50 and 60 percent of their figure, but finding a child minder for their figure that is suitable will be a hard task. so it more like 30-40 percent of the cost. providing your joint income is less than 42,000 per year. (or single income)

But really you need to look at things like, could you afford to live on your own on just 1 income? If so go for it. It may mean foreign holidays and a new car every few years goes out the window, but a fair price for a nipper.

Any tax credits and child benefit will not cover costs on their own in the early days but will be a welcome help toward living. also if either of you are employed and meet the requirement for maternity allowance, or smp then that will assist for 9 months once baby arrives.

Life changes dramatically with kids priorities change etc. Make sure you can cover the rent put food on the table and reap the rewards of having kids, shop a lidl not m and s, go to the park not the theme park, and after a few years the kids will be at school and your working situation will improve.

rob

If you have to work out what you`ll receive as a parent, your not ready yet.

Sponsored Links
Think I'll stick with my collie, at least she won't tell me to F**k off when she's 13!!!
Ahh ,, Just think of all the vet bills at that age. My sister has a 14yr old Border Collie (now on it's last legs) and reckons she's paid out over £7000 in vets bills the last few years. When our BC gets like that, my trusty lump hammer and 6" nail will be on standby. ;) ;)

She's fully insured JJ, a friends pup broke its leg at 5 months old cost her 2.5k...!

Think I'll shelve the idea anyway, got so little time for my hobbies and sports as it is, all the folk I know with kids don't do anything but look after their kids, understandable I know, but I'd rather go sea kayaking/cycling/hill walking....or even down the pub!
Cheers, I'll drink to that!! ;)

Think I'll stick with my collie, at least she won't tell me to F**k off when she's 13!!!
Ahh ,, Just think of all the vet bills at that age. My sister has a 14yr old Border Collie (now on it's last legs) and reckons she's paid out over £7000 in vets bills the last few years. When our BC gets like that, my trusty lump hammer and 6" nail will be on standby. ;) ;)

Bit late trying to teach polish joinery isn't it? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back