Can decorating materials smell like gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, last Sept i painted our box room, a mixture of paints some brand new, some using up old pots. We had had one wall replastered, and i'm not sure i "sealed it", i just painted over it when dry.

Since the hot weather this week, we walk in the (usually closed room) and it stinks of what i think is gas. There is a gas pipe above the landing outside, but the loft doesn't smell at all, and when i check the meter after two hours of non-use, the dial hasn't moved a bit, so i don't think gas is escaping.

We've put our noses to most things, and cannot find anything strong, just a general odour within the room. We've checked behind radiator etc.

Can a variety of paint emit a gas-like smell please, especially when warm? This is the warmest the room has been since painting, as we don't radiate the room up to the same temperature.

If it can't be explained, is there a company that can discover what a smell is, rather than calling the gas board?

Thanks, Tony

Sponsored Links
In my experience only gas smells like gas. If it's strong - then that's probably what it is.

My sister in law thought she had a gas leak! Had me round to check couldnt find nothing told her to getbthe gas board round! Turns out it was some mouldy potatoes hanging on the back of the kitchen door!! :eek:

Think I'd be turning off the mains gas lever and calling someone in, especially if the smell of gas went away after I'd isolated the supply.

Sponsored Links
Gas? GAS? Don't mention THAT word. More than your life's worth to answer on this site. :rolleyes:

You can't even give someone a part no. without being deleted.

I once pained a whole kitchen using Crown white emulsion and it smelt horrible for ages! Sometimes it smelt like gas and others it smelt like pee :eek:

I can't remember which website I was on, but I found some reviews for Crown emulsion paint and a lot of people were complaining about the same thing.

Obviously, if you didn't use Crown paint then my entire post is useless .............................wouldn't be the first time :cry:

In my experience only gas smells like gas. If it's strong - then that's probably what it is.

Actually Joe, old oil in a sealed gearbox can give off a smell similar to propane. Its to do with the oil molecules breaking down and producing by products.

Natural gas (methane) has no smell. It's Methanethiol that is added to make it stink.

Wow, what a response! Thanks all. I've turned the gas off overnight to see if it makes a difference. My concern though if it is a marginal leak, is won't it take a while for the gas to empty from the pipe, or won't it escape due to a vacuum being created, and so shutting the gas off should prove it either way?

I have a window open in the room to vent it. We'll check again in the morning.

Do British Gas charge for a safety check, and does their metering detect the strongest source of a potential leak?

Thanks again, tony

Call your gas provider on 0800 111 999 and tell them you think you can smell gas, they'll be out pronto to check it and it won't cost you anything.

I can't beleive it took over 2 hours for this (absolutely correct) reply!

Also, and I can't beleive I am agreeing with Jo90 for the 2nd time, my attitude is thatif it smells like gas, it probably is.

ANY suspicion of a gas leak, make that FREE call 0800 111 999.

By calling the emergency provider you will have your internals checked and also the machines they use will also make sure it is not your service that is leaking and getting upstairs through the fabric of the building that sort of leak would never show on your meter.

As for Joe90 saying only gas smells like gas not stritcly true there is many many things that people mistake for the smell of gas and believe it or not probably around 30 to 40 % of reported gas leaks turn out to be something else altogether .

But the emergency guys will not think bad of you for calling them out just dont do it at 3 in the morning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back