Can I bend a central heating pipe which feeds into a radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a radiator in my little boys room with a newer one as his old radiator just didn't heat the room well. I have just realised that the old rad is slightly shorter; including the tail valves the old rad was 940mm wide and the new one (with tails) is 970mm.

We can make it fit but have to apply a level of force to get the lockshield/trv over the tail which forces the pipes coming up out of the floor out a little.

I am concerned about stressing the pipe and causing a leak, so have taken the rad back off.

Will the pipe have a certain level of flex in it or would I be better off buying an 800mm wide radiator and getting a valve extension to make up the difference in width?

Sponsored Links
I am replacing a radiator in my little boys room with a newer one as his old radiator just didn't heat the room well. I have just realised that the old rad is slightly shorter; including the tail valves the old rad was 940mm wide and the new one (with tails) is 970mm.

We can make it fit but have to apply a level of force to get the lockshield/trv over the tail which forces the pipes coming up out of the floor out a little.

I am concerned about stressing the pipe and causing a leak, so have taken the rad back off.

Will the pipe have a certain level of flex in it or would I be better off buying an 800mm wide radiator and getting a valve extension to make up the difference in width?
What is under the floor ?Copper or plastic pipe?
Can you get under the floor?
Probably be an easy job adjusting the pipework as appose to buying yet another rad.
Are you sure those measurements are correct?

Last edited:
Based upon the age of the house I think it'll be copper pipes. Not easy for me to check though. Buying another rad isn't the end of the world though.

Are you suggesting that it flexing/bending the pipe slightly is a bad move?

Sponsored Links
Based upon the age of the house I think it'll be copper pipes. Not easy for me to check though. Buying another rad isn't the end of the world though.

Are you suggesting that it flexing/bending the pipe slightly is a bad move?
I’d need to see what is below floor level before I could advise properly. Can you provide pictures or no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back