Replacing an old radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Can anyone put me right. I am thinking of replacing an old single panel radiator with a new one. The dimensions of the new metric radiator is almost identical to the old one in width and height. However, when the rad is fitted to the brackets on the wall the rad tail centre is
45mm but the valve centre on the 15mm central heating pipe is 55mm. How do you align the two to get the valve to fit to the rad tail with a 10mm difference. Fit half inch wooden battens to the wall to take out the gap and fit the brackets to it? Also, do you have to take in to account anything else besides the radiator width and height when replacing?
Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Pack put the brackets drilling holes through the packers so your screw go's through them and the bracket into the wall. Don't screw the brackets to the wood, it likely won't be strong enough.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the info. I understand the bit about not screwing the brackets to the wood directly. Could you be a little clearer about what packers we are talking about and how they are applied please?
Your help is very welcome.

No prob, so packers to me is a generic term to describe some material to take up excess space.

I would use some timber cut to the same height as the surface of the bracket that would be against the wall, and of course approx same width as the surface that is against the wall. So you'd have one strip of wood for each rad bracket.

The screws would go through the bracket, through the timber and into a suitable wall fixing.

Your new rad will of course be 10mm further away from the wall than it should be. This will probably make no operational difference but I would offer it up and eye it before you screw it on to both check if you're happy with how it looks and of course if your pipes now align.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored Links
Some brackets can be used two ways ,one way sets the rad further from the wall. See if yours can ,and if it helps pipe alignment.

Thank you for your help. I was thinking of something along these lines. Putting in suitable thickness of wood matching the bracket against the wall
and drilling holes through it into the wall and fitting perhaps large rawl plugs to support the radiator.
Very grateful for your help and assistance!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back