Radiator Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a vertical radiator within a shallow alcove with minimum clearances left and right. The radiator will not fit if I fit both tails and valves.

Is it possible to fit valves directly to the rad without the tails?

I'll be looking for suitable valves with vertical 10mm feed/return.

Cheers all.

PS - Its a designer rad so a narrower rad is not an option :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nope, ideally you need a rad tail to provide a metric pipe stub or a male flange and nut for the valve and it's compression/female flange end to fit to.

Would a male ended valve fitted into the tapping of the rad work, who knows, never tried. Certainly not ideal, different threads etc.

You do get vertical rads with top/bottom and centre tappings these days.

2 of these,

Rad2.JPG

and,

Rad 1.JPG

Thanks for the above.
I have a couple of stainless steel flexible hoses which are normally used for domestic water taps.
Are they suitable for use with radiators?
Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the above.
I have a couple of stainless steel flexible hoses which are normally used for domestic water taps.
Are they suitable for use with radiators?
Cheers all.
No.

Why can't you fit vertical valves and tails from below?

Thanks Foxhole - The elbow fixing suggested previously is my solution as I didn't know they existed. The flexible hoses was just an ignorant query as I have them already as left overs from a previous DIY job.

Remember and check your designer rad some have a baffle fitted in them and the flow can only go to one end or it wont work, not all have them but some do

Thanks Foxhole - The elbow fixing suggested previously is my solution as I didn't know they existed. The flexible hoses was just an ignorant query as I have them already as left overs from a previous DIY job.

So... You want a "designer" rad (for aesthetics presumably) and then want to Heath Robinson it with flexible hoses... What were you thinking :eek::LOL:;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back