Radiator Extension Tails

Sponsored Links
Hi Rik, Toolstation catalogue p.333, 10 sizes.
(Your existing rad tail & nut is removed and screwed into the extension.)

Last edited:
Hi
Many radiators now have a rubber seal on the blanking nut and bleed valve. Is the extendable tail seal different to this?

Thanks for the heads up will go with them.

Alan - Yes the rubber seal is the same as u would get on a blank. Fitted these types before and had problem with leaks after the rubber perished within a few months. Can't be fussed going through it again!

Sponsored Links
The rubber seal shouldn't perish within a couple of months unless it had become contaminated or overtightened, common cause for the rubber seals failing.

As you suggest, it is exactly the same as can be found on a blank or a bleed valve which remain watertight for the life of the rad and should perform without issue.

Those radiator tails (screwfix) are also extendable, i.e. they slide in an out, useful for changing old imperial rads for metric ones and lining up to the existing pipework.
This means there is another seal (probably o-ring) inside the tail.

I've just fitted a couple and they are working fine (only a week in though). A little bit concerning is that you can wiggle the pipework and watch the tail go in and out, but that's probably me being paranoid and used to rigid connections everywhere.

You can also use some fernox, ls-x to enhance the seal of the rubber o-rings if you wish, but it shouldn't be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back