problem with telescopic radiator tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17552...ves/Adjustable-Radiator-Valve-Tail-Union-Type

but the connection between the tail pipe and the nut in the radiator is not tight and it moves if you pull the valve. Having looked at it I cant see any mechanism within the nuts at either end which causes the nut to clamp onto the tail pipe when they are tightened.

There are rubber O rings but these do not provide a seal around the pipe part of the tail and the nuts.

Am I doing something obviously wrong :) or is this the way they are supposed to work?

Many thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Horrible things that spring leaks after a while,go to BES and order some proper tails that you can cut down to the size you need

If you mean that you can still slide the new tail in and out of the rad when its fixed in place, then this is how it's supposed to be. Nothing clamps down onto the chrome pipe to stop movement. The O ring inside provides the seal.

Thanks for the replies.

If you mean that you can still slide the new tail in and out of the rad when its fixed in place, then this is how it's supposed to be. Nothing clamps down onto the chrome pipe to stop movement. The O ring inside provides the seal.

That's exactly what I mean, but I'm just surprised that a joint that can move will not leak.

I'll give it go and if they do leak I'll have to get the fixed size ones as mentioned by happyplumber.

Sponsored Links
The ones mentioned by Happyplumber are the most reliable.

However, with telescopic tails, the consensus seems to be that when connected to the pipes supplying the rad, you should try to ensure that the pipes don't pull on the tails. Badly aligned pipes can stress the telescopic tails, which can cause failure.

This said, I've never had a problem with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back