Radiator tails

9 Dec 2017
Reaction score
United Kingdom
wanting to replace a radiator and need advice please, my question is I don’t intend to replace any valves as they are relatively new, but the tails in the old rad have a bigger nut than the ones supplied with radiator which have 15 mm stamped on them, so I thought easy option would be to remove old tails and put them in new rad but they won’t budge they are the old type with two lugs on inner.. Can I buy the tails with the larger nut on the tails from anywhere as I cannot see any online. And I don’t want to go to the trouble of replacing the complete valves and draining the system as I am a complete novice at plumbing... Thanks
Sponsored Links

you mean these with the 3/4" nut.
Have they have a large nut like this? If so then you'll need an allan key to take the tail out of the rad

You either need to buy or borrow a rad valve spanner which will fit your tails so you can re-use them, or go and buy 2 new valves complete with tails, and use those, keeping the valves for another time.

You may however have a problem in that modern rad valves are (I think) 3/4" BSP threads, some older rad valves are a similar diameter, but a finer thread.

Your best bet is to go buy a rad valve key, they're not expensive.
Sponsored Links
you need a rad allen key ie from diy stores etc. if you want new ones you can get then on ebay etc but the big stores won't have them on there own.
where r u i got boxes of them i'd give you 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local