Replacing single with double radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I will be replacing a single radiator with a double radiator in the near future. I have taken radiators off and replaced them in the past so it will hopefully be OK to do it. I am looking to replace with a rad of the same height and width. One thing I will obviously need to do is to fit blocking plug and bleed plug at top of rad. No problem as these are supplied with the new radiator.
However, the existing rad has a TRV fitted. As I need to purchase and fit tails to the new rad, do these have to be specific to the TRV or can I use a generic 'tail'? I have researched this online but cannot find a definitive answer one way or another.
Thanks in anticipation of any reply.

Sponsored Links
I have no photos as the site is my son's house some 200+ miles away (going there in a week or so). As far as using existing tails from old rad, I read somewhere not to do it as they are 'old' and may be difficult to separate?

As far as using existing tails from old rad, I read somewhere not to do it as they are 'old' and may be difficult to separate?

They should be ok to reuse, they will be the same age as the valves and you are reusing them after all..

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that. Just for my information, do the tails contain 'anything' required in the operation of the TRV? I wouldn't have thought so but just asking.

do these have to be specific to the TRV or can I use a generic 'tail'?

For example, the ones below are not generic and "normal" tails won't do. If you use the existing ones you can be sure they will fit.

upload_2021-7-10_15-13-0.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back