Can I bend the element in a Creda storage heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Creda storage heater with the kettle-type elements.... Heats up, but not very much.
Took apart, buzzed the old elements, one is OK the other is bust. Very twisted and the outer casing is burned. The one that still works is also twisted.

I noticed that the old elements were too wide to fit in the recesses of the bricks ... yes, the bricks are the right way round. Hard to say how much too wide, as they're so distorted.

The new elements are also a bit too wide, perhaps half an inch. Can I bend them slightly so they sit snugly in the brick recess?

Ivor

Sponsored Links
Thankyou.
I posted it in Appliances now.

Meanwhile, the eBay seller of the elements advises that I can indeed bend them. I was surprised, I expected him to sit on the fence or give no reply, so take a bow Spares4Homes.

Off now to do some bending.

Be interesting thugh to see what the sparkies say.

Ivor

You should be able to bend them a small amount if you are gentle, but if you kink the tube then you've had it and you'll have to start again with a new one.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did. Then buzzed them, and they're OK.
So tomorrow we should be warm again. I hope.

Thankyou.

I doubt the makers recommend doing that.

If you did then its best to heat them to a dull red with a gas blowlamp before bending!

Tony

Well, I seem to have got away with it. All heated up this morning.
I did bend them very gently. Agree with the point about annealing if there's much bending to do.

Ivor

They bend more than people realise,

They are like pyro cable the internal material is packed so tight they bend cold without collapsing.

We used to do catering and the elements were supplied straight and we were expected to bend them to fit appliances .

I always doubted it till i recently removed some old storage heater elements and bent them excessively more than normal and found not one collapsed or was damaged, so keep nice curves and a suitable radius and there usually fine.
If you still have the faulty element try it on that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back