Can I connect a chrome shower to plastic pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an Aqualisa shower that has diminished to just a dribble of water. The inlet pipes are 150mm apart (this seems to be a standard size I assume, which is good news for me). The existing shower is plastic and the fittings are all plastic, even the pipework that comes out of my tiles, and then is in a 90 degree right angle elbow into the shower unit.

I am planning to replace it with a Mira shower - that is made of chrome. My question is can I screw the new chrome elbow pieces onto the plastic pipework that comes in, or will I have a problem with attaching chrome to plastic.

Sponsored Links
and then is in a 90 degree right angle elbow into the shower unit.
is this part of the plastic pipe ?

I am planning to replace it with a Mira shower - that is made of chrome. My question is can I screw the new chrome elbow pieces onto the plastic pipework that comes in, or will I have a problem with attaching chrome to plastic.
is it a nut/olive connection ?
if it is providing the plastic pipe is not damaged yes.

Thanks Seco services.

Yes the elbow is a plastic elbow that screws onto the incoming plastic pipe.

I havent actually bought the shower yet (just saw it on display in B & Q, but I did take the elbow off the display one to look at and that has a thread inside it.

Sponsored Links
I looked a bit more carefully. The plastic pipes that come out of the wall have a collar that the elbow piece, also plastic is a screw fit onto.

Looking at the online installation guides for Mira showers it seems that these want to a nit/o;ive compression fixing to be screwed on.

Any suggestions anybody what I can do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back