Can I connect new supply pipe to meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can I make the connection between a new water supply line and the water meter myself?

Anglian Water want to charge me £500 for the pleasure. The meter is only about 0.25m into the pavement from the edge of my driveway so could easily be reached from the trench my builder is digging down my driveway to meet at the meter without having to disturb the pavement surface.

I am replacing old black 20mm pipe with blue 25mm as I am moving the entry point into the house so thought I might as well upgrade the supply as I want to fit a MegaFlow in the future.

1) Would I be allowed to make this connection myself (by myself I mean a plumber rather than AW)?

2) Would the connection fittings required be readily available to purchase?

Thanks
Warren

Sponsored Links
You would need a 3/4" mi x 25mm mdpe, available from any plumbers merchants and most builders merchants.

Pssssssst it maybe Fi.

I forgot to answer the question with all the excitement.

Snip the black off just inside your boundary, and reconnect to the blue using a philmac straight connector with the correct inserts. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thats a good idea. I guess the 0.25m of black pipe wont have much affect on the flow / pressure so would be an easy way to get done what I need, keep the money for other things and keep AW happy.

Thanks for that.

Just out of interest, do you know what the legalities are for connecting to the meter? are you allowed to do it?

I would if it was on my ground, but you don't need to as it will make no difference in your case.

Make sure the pipe is the correct depth and laid on sand then covered with sand as the water supplier should really check it :rolleyes:

The entry into the property must be sleeved and sealed to prevent vermin entering a ready made tunnel.

Tip of the day;

Turn the meter on very slowly to load the pipe when ready, if you turn it straight on it can rip the guts out of the meter, especially if it's high pressure.

I had a similar situation with a new meter and a lead supply pipe.

When I excavated from my property I found that they had about 250 mm of blue poly with a connector onto my lead pipe.

So all I had to do was put a blue poly connector between theirs and mine.

Under the water regs if its not an approved plumber then the trench and new pipe has to be inspected by the water company before backfilling.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back