Can I connect push-fit to imperial tube(1/2")

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace a failed stop tap under sink with usual array of tees etc.I would like to use Push-fit for safety reasons but I think the copper may be imperial and I know that there may be compatibility issues.

I understand thar 3/4 tube requires a special olive for compression and cannot be used with push-fits.Am I right in thinking that !/2" tube can be used as if it were 15mm, and are therefore virtually interchangeable?

Sponsored Links
I never encourage push fit ( except Tectite ) however the size difference is so small that they can be treated as interchangeable at 1/2" or 15mm.

3/4 is significantly different and needs appropriate fittings.

Tont

I wouldn't rely on 15mm push-fit staying on a 1/2" pipe. Push-fit only effectively grips the exact size pipe it is designed for, and 1/2" pipe isn't exactly 15mm.

Most of the time 1/2" is close enough to 15mm for solder and compression fittings to work, as they are more tolerant of slight variations in pipe diameter.

There was a report on here recently of push-fits blowing off 1/2" pipe.

It should be OK if the pipe is clean and in good condition. The outside diameter of 1/2 inch copper is very slightly bigger than 15mm, so as long as the fitting slides fully on, it should be good.

Sponsored Links
That means that it is even better to use 1/2 inch pipe on a 15mm push fit fitting than contemporary 15mm pipe?!

That is not what I stated, and not what I meant.

Indeed. But if what you stated is true, then the pushfit would be a snugger, tighter fit with less chance of blowing off, although it could be argued that the sharp edges of the grab ring work better at the correct angle, ie with correct specified pipe.

Can be sure they won't honour guarantee / compensation if pipe was imperial!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back