Imperial olives measured internally ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally getting around to replacing an old stopcock on what I'm pretty sure is alkathene 1/2" pipe (it measures 21mm externally). Currently the cold feed goes into the existing old stopcock which connects to 15mm pipework.

I want to buy an new olive for this pipe. Do you think I need to buy an olive that is advertised as 1/2" or 3/4" ? I mean I'm thinking that if the imperial olive is also measured internally than 1/2" sounds right but if measured externally then its the wrong olive ?

Also, should I get a copper or brass one?

Something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-1-2-TUBI...aultDomain_3&hash=item415632552b#ht_500wt_942 ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The only times olives are compatible is when you use 15mm olives on 1/2" copper pipe, and 28mm on 1" copper. It might be a bit hard to get it done, but it works as the imperial pipes are fractionally ( microns ) bigger than their metric counterparts.

Cut the pipe off just below the olive and use a Philmac stopcock with an adapter to copper in it...

If you do need to replace the olive on the alkathene then yes a 3/4" imp olive is what you need.

A 22mm brass stopcock with reducer to 15 on the outlet is best way to go.

A Metal fitting over plastic wins every time for this type of fitting in my book, and don't worry the 22mm stopcock will work with the imp olive, have fun.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. So to be clear, when talking about 1/2" pipe, you need a 3/4" olive?

(Why not a 1/2" olive for a 1/2" pipe) ?

Its about understanding the historic conventions of pipe sizing.

Some pipes were defined by their Inside and others by the Outside measurements.

All part of the black art of plumbing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back