Can I cut garage roof horizontal beams?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need some advice.

My garage has a simple triangular support system for the roof (tiled roof)

The current horizontal beams are spaced at 16" apart.

I am looking to remove beams 8 and 9 (the two middle ones).

Can I just take them out or is there a way I can raise the span at this point rather than remove them?

As always your help is appreciated.

Thanks
Duncan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Here are some photos

External shot of roof

One end of garage

Other end of garage

Looking up at roof supports

There are the two beams I want to remove, they are in the middle of the garage.

I was going to cut them just proud of the supporting wall so I can simply just cut them.

I want the space so I can use my treadmill and cross trainer without putting my head between the beams (I'm 6' 6")

Thanks again
Duncan[/img]

You can't just remove them; those beans are preventing your roof trusses spreading and pushing the walls out.

You may be able to remove them if alternative bracing is provided.

If I made them shorter and reattached them to the angled supports would this work?

If I made them shorter and reattached them to the angled supports would this work?
You won't necessarily be able to remove them completely, but they could be partially removed and as long as the remaining lengths of joists are sufficiently trimmed then there shouldn't be any problems with the rafters spreading.
You would need to double up the joists either side of the cut joists by bolting through with, say, M10 coach bolts at 600mm centres, and trim the cut ends with double joists, hung on hangers at each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back