Can I extend the BT drop cable with white 3 pair cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys.

My BT master socket is situated in the garage, from this socket I've tested my broadband speed which is around 3.4meg. The next socket (slave) is situated in my office and I'm only getting 1.7meg there.

So could I joint the A and B cable to the white 6 pair cable the goes to the office and then relocate the BT master socket to the office?

Would I get anywhere near the 3.4meg that I was getting from the garage?

I understand I'm not legally allowed to tamper with the master socket so I would seek a BT engineer to carry out any alterations.

Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
Change the NTE5 front plate to the latest spec, if you have that much drop off it is probably interference. This socket gave me 1.5MB!

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketmasterNTE5.html

& it isn't illegal to do this, it can be deemed against BT's T&C's.(although even their call centre staff advise you can fit your own sockets now).

You can certainly try it, without screwing anything to the wall, but it may be the cable thats at fault as opposed to the position of the NTE.

You say it is 6 pair cable from NTE to office. What are the other pairs used for ?

If ADSL is carried on a pair in a multi-pair cable then the un-used pairs in same cable can affect the ADSL signal.

If you can run in a new single pair cable from NTE to the office then do so and use it to connect UNFILTERED 2 and 5 at the BT NTE to the back half A and B terminals in a new NTE 5 in the office.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/images/adsl-nteface-atl-mid.jpg

This gives a clean route for the incoming pair direct to the office. ( as good as if BT had moved it but a lot cheaper) On the new NTE 5 fit a filtered face plate to completely separate phone wiring from ADSL wiring.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm

(( there are other suppliers of face plates with ADSL filters ))

Sponsored Links
The spare pairs will have no bearing on ADSL unless they connected to the ADSL circuit (the ringer for example), and even then, not in all cases.

If the pairs carry a seperate phone line or service, or do nothing, then there will be no problem - Your line back to the exchange will be a single pair in 3, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 pair cable.

A length of spare un-connected pair in the same cable as an active ADSL signal can by chance be the length that is electrically resonant (as a standing wave) at the frequency of the ADSL signal. If it is resonant then the signal will be affected. Grounding one end may, by damping of oscillation, prevent it resonating enough to seriously affect the ADSL signal.

In street cables

[1] the length of any spare pair is far from the resonant length ( though it may be a multiple of the resonant length ),

[2] most pairs are terminated at the exchange so any resonance is heavily damped.

[3] there are invariably several ADSL signals at the same time so the drive to resonate is complex and therefore resonance is less likely than with just a single ADSL signal producing a simple drive.

Every home in the UK has spare pairs seeing as the smallest pair count is two! Honest to god something that is so simple for the OP is been made out to be so complex. The choice is simple, keep the existing NTE and disconnect pin 3, fit the latest spec NTE5 faceplate & keep pin 3 connected or use a BT 80A to join the cable where the NTE5 is currently & relocate the old unit.

A length of spare un-connected pair in the same cable as an active ADSL signal can by chance be the length that is electrically resonant (as a standing wave) at the frequency of the ADSL signal. If it is resonant then the signal will be affected. Grounding one end may, by damping of oscillation, prevent it resonating enough to seriously affect the ADSL signal.

In street cables

[1] the length of any spare pair is far from the resonant length ( though it may be a multiple of the resonant length ),

[2] most pairs are terminated at the exchange so any resonance is heavily damped.

[3] there are invariably several ADSL signals at the same time so the drive to resonate is complex and therefore resonance is less likely than with just a single ADSL signal producing a simple drive.

I have a vision of mole from "wind in the willows"

A length of spare un-connected pair in the same cable as an active ADSL signal can by chance be the length that is electrically resonant (as a standing wave) at the frequency of the ADSL signal. If it is resonant then the signal will be affected.

ADSL is spread over many bands. Everyone uses the same ones. During negotiation the exchange and remote equipment decide for themselves which bits of the band to use. knocking out a little bit of the band won't make a lot of difference (usually happens for various reasons anyway). Nearly all phone lines, extension branches and whatever contain unused pairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back