Can I extend the power supply lead off my combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my vaillant boiler to an area of the kitchen where there is limited no space left, right or below it, to put a fused spur and plug to supply power to it.

The power supply lead on my combi vaillant boiler has been cut really short.

Can a plumber / electrcian put a new longer power supply lead on it?
If yes - how long can the lead be? I.e. what maximum distance the boiler spur and plug can be from the boiler?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be extended, or I should say replaced. Boilers don't come with a power lead when new, it's provided by the installer.

I want to move my vaillant boiler to an area of the kitchen where there is limited no space left, right or below it, to put a fused spur and plug to supply power to it.

The power supply lead on my combi vaillant boiler has been cut really short.

Can a plumber / electrcian put a new longer power supply lead on it?
If yes - how long can the lead be? I.e. what maximum distance the boiler spur and plug can be from the boiler?

Thanks in advance!
The boiler manual should give the current drawn, so you can find the cable size needed for the distance. My whole system has a 3 amp fuse, so it's not likely to be much of a problem.

Sponsored Links
My boilers have always been in the loft. The spur is downstairs in the airing cupboard.

Better if the isolation switch is located close to the boiler, then it is easier for the engineer working on the system to both find it, and know for sure it is off, when working on the boiler.

Boilers don't come with a power lead when new. it's provided by the installer.
Not sure what you mean by ?? When supplied new those I've seen come boxed up without a power lead. Surely as the OP has discovered the power lead will be subject to the installation requirement. If some do come with one, my apologies I've just never seen it.

When supplied new they come in a box without a power lead. Not sure what you mean by ??
Not wishing to contradict any pro here but all the boilers I have installed over the last while have the leads already connected?? I haven't had to supply any power leads.

IG's, Vokera's etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back