Can I by pass the T40 thermostat on my combi and run the pump etc with an inverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a had a three pin socket installed on my Ideal Combi boiler but have noticed the receiver on the T40 themostat is till connected to the mains So in the event of a power failure I presume the receiver will stop working.
Would I still be able to get heating by plugging the combi boiler into the supply from my (pure sine wave ) inverter .
Or would the boiler not operate at all if the T40 receiver does not have a 230 volt supply .
My question in a nutshell is , can I bypass using the T40 thermostat temporarily in the event of a power cut

Sponsored Links
In the event of a power cut, nothing will work. The inverter, how will this be powered? Also are you sure the thermostat is a T40? Can’t seem to find a wireless version of it (n)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you wired the bdr91 receiver to the boiler the it would work, otherwise in the event of a power cut, you’d have to join the wires together, but the thermostat wouldn’t be controlling the heat.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming once the receiver receives a command from the thermostat it sends a command to the boiler , so it is already wired to the boiler.

What I am thinking is the receiver needs power to actually do that .

In a power cut then it will not be receiving any power from the mains , so I need to know if I can bypass it/turn it off or just any way to control the boiler by hand with the controls on the front of my ideal combi .

Then my inverter would just be supplying power to run the pump and ignition along with the circuit boards etc.

I am assuming once the receiver receives a command from the thermostat it sends a command to the boiler , so it is already wired to the boiler.

What I am thinking is the receiver needs power to actually do that .

In a power cut then it will not be receiving any power from the mains , so I need to know if I can bypass it/turn it off or just any way to control the boiler by hand with the controls on the front of my ideal combi .
Yes receiver needs power for that, and you can’t bypass it at the boiler. You said:
I have a had a three pin socket installed on my Ideal Combi boiler but have noticed the receiver on the T40 themostat is till connected to the mains So in the event of a power failure I presume the receiver will stop working.
If it’s connected to the boiler L-N-E then receiver will work fine from the separate plug, I thought you meant the boiler was on a plug and receiver elsewhere, eg spur.

Thank you for your time Chris , I appreciate it .

The receiver appears to be still connected directly to the mains supply via a cable running next to the three pin socket .

Whereas the boilers pump and all the other electrics can be powered by any 230 volt source via the three pin socket .

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It’s better if all the boiler related power sources are from the same source, eg 3 amp fused plug, or 3 amp switched spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back