Can i extract my cooker hood up into my old chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a cooker duct connected directly 1 meter away from the hood into the outside wall. using 205x 60 ducting. The problem is my neighbours complain that the cooking odour comes into their open windows and lingers in their house!

I have looked at redirecting it in the ceiling to to another side of the kitchen to an outside wall but there is a cross joist in the way and i can't cut through it.

The other alternative is to use ultra thin ducting (the 225 x 29) and duct it directly up through the ceiling, up the wall the corridor and into my attic where there is the remains of an old chimney which the duct will go into. the ducting will directly vertical into the base of this chimney in the attic.

The length of this will be about 4.5 meters. the fact that it is a straight line will that help the ducting? do you think the fan will have enough power to blow it upwards? will the odour emanating from the top of the fan, simply go the rest of the way up out of the chimney (another meter)

failing that is there something i can attach outside my current one that can pacify my neighbour??

Sponsored Links
Your chimney maybe capped off if its no longer used,How about fitting a wall fan where your ducting exits so the smells dissapate quickly rather than linger

thanks for your reply - I can clearly see daylight from the bottom of the chimney and there is a lot of gravel gathered on the bottom of the attic where it has come in from the chimney.

what do you mean by fan? can this be attached to the output grill of my current exit?

Sponsored Links
yes will sort of the chimney -

am i right in saying that i use my cooker hood fan to extract the fumes as normal and attach another fan instead of the grill it comes out of- is this a motorised fan? where can i get them- will it work in conjunction with my cooker hood? i somehow think my neighbour will be happy with this, fan or not, the airflow coming from the vent is pretty fierce as it's less than a meter to the cooker fumes comes out into the garden, - i don't think a fan will do any difference to the smell? My neighbour is just unhappy with it coming out at all. he would like it relocated to another part of the house-

failing the chimney my only other option is to vent it down into my basement and into a vent at the other side of the house with some flexible duct - but that would be about 7 meters long..

does anyone know any reputable venting companies that can give me a quote?? might be best to get professional help in.

Yes a motorised fan,you'll have problems venting downwards as hot air rises do you have any filters in your cooker hood?

where can i get this fan? how will it stop the odour from going next door?

i have basic filter in my hood, i used to use the recirculate function with a carbon filter, but i removed the carbon filter when i vented it outside.

Any electrical supplier will recomend a fan,the fan will throw the fumes out at speed causing them to mix with air quicker

And you will still be exhausting your fumes at the neighbours.

If your exhaust vent is pointing towards the neighbours then yes, redirect your vents elsewhere, up the chimney with suitable hood etc sounds feasible.

I have my cooker extractor venting up the chimney, works well.

what if i simply extend the ducting outside, upwards so it clears their windows- how high do you think i can go? Does the fact that it is hot air help? i was thinking 4 M that's 1.5 m inside and 2.5 going upwards as i hit the wall outside- anyone done this?

IS the wall that the vent is on, venting directly into the neighbours property?
(I dont mean into their house).

You would need to get their permission before adding extra ducting if so.

You shouldn't be venting into a neighbours property anyway.

No, i live in a terraced house. the vent comes outside to the right of my kitchen window (slightly above) on my property. The neighbours kitchen window is about a meter from mine (facing the same way as the kitchens are side by side) and they complain that the fumes expelled is blown downwards by the wind into their open kitchen window or upwards to their bathroom window, or even worse round the corner into their open bedroom window. They complain that when we use the vent for cooking, that the smell can penetrate the whole of their upstairs.

the vent outside as it is, works well and is perfectly compliant and legal - it's just they are good neighbours and i don't want to fall out with them by simply telling them to close their windows in this heat so i am looking to try and do something else with the vent.

Look at your local chip shop. Extend your ducting vertically to roof level and put on top a hu roof cowl / chinese hat type vent.
Also put something on your chimney cap to stop rain getting in.
If you changed the existing duct run for one incorporating the slim duct you'll probably build up high resistance and make the cooker hood noisier in operation.

Is it yours or the wifes cooking that the neighbours complain about? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back