Can I feed mixer shower from existing HW & CW supply to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - can i install an overbath mixer shower unit (non-thermostatic) using existing feeds from the sink in the bathroom (sits next to bath. Access to tap end of bath is very limited due to wall and boxing in around existing feeds to the bath.
I have had a plumber tell me that i have to spend 800 quid to put in separate feeds and an electric shower but got the feeling that he was either trying to get out of the job, or make it worthwhile for him. I know the issues with non-thermostatic mixers, and pressure is reasonable (have got one of those mixers that fit over bath taps but this is neither practical nor aesthetic.
any help would be much appreciated. It is a council property so must be removable, plastic pipework is allowed and we don't want to spend too much, but just want a shower of some description.

Sponsored Links
What sort of boiler have you got? Have you got a cylinder and cold water tank? Do you have mains pressure in the bathroom for either/both hot and cold. etc etc Any details would be of some use.

What sort of boiler have you got? Have you got a cylinder and cold water tank? Do you have mains pressure in the bathroom for either/both hot and cold. etc etc Any details would be of some use.

yes cylinder and cold tank, i think that downstairs is mains pressure CW but upstairs is tank fed. boiler is not a combi-boiler. Seem to have reasonable pressure in bathroom. Approx 3-4metres between tank and bathroom floor

When you hold the shower head from the bath, do you get a reasonable flow since without power showers/pumps, this is approximately what you will have with the mixer.

If you are happy with it, you can tee off the supplies from the sink as you suggest, using plastic pipework and fittings.

Sponsored Links
When you hold the shower head from the bath, do you get a reasonable flow since without power showers/pumps, this is approximately what you will have with the mixer.

If you are happy with it, you can tee off the supplies from the sink as you suggest, using plastic pipework and fittings.

thanks swidders - much appreciated, flow from existing head seems sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back