Can I fill a metal window lintel with expanding foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just chipped some of the plaster from the top of a cold window reveal. Above the 10mm of plaster there is a perforated metal window lintel. Icy cold. Also blowing Icy wind though it. No wonder there's so much condensation! Fitted in the early 80's.

When I do the internal insulation is there any reason why I can't fill the lintel with expanding foam?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Won't hurt, new builds have cavity closers on 4 sides to stop this, wouldn't hurt you doing top and both sides if your decorating at some point

Ah thank you. Makes you wonder why no-one had thought of the importance of insulation back then.Or did we all just expect to be cold through the winter and wear wooly jumpers? I remember it always being freezing in our house.

Anyway, when I have removed all the plaster from the reveals I'm hoping to get 10mm of aerogel blanket in there. I hope it will adhere to the metal lintel ok. But i will still be short of space for the PB. I'm looking at 6mm cement board. or 3mm if i could find a supplier. Can't think how to fix it to the top reveal tthough. Looks like its going to be mainly instastik at the moment.:)

Sponsored Links
20210109_095151.jpg
20210109_095151.jpg
20210109_095132.jpg

If I use aerogel blanket on the top reveal, how will I attach the pb/Mg0? Can I use adhesive in both layers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back