Can I fill a metal window lintel with expanding foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just chipped some of the plaster from the top of a cold window reveal. Above the 10mm of plaster there is a perforated metal window lintel. Icy cold. Also blowing Icy wind though it. No wonder there's so much condensation! Fitted in the early 80's.

When I do the internal insulation is there any reason why I can't fill the lintel with expanding foam?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Won't hurt, new builds have cavity closers on 4 sides to stop this, wouldn't hurt you doing top and both sides if your decorating at some point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah thank you. Makes you wonder why no-one had thought of the importance of insulation back then.Or did we all just expect to be cold through the winter and wear wooly jumpers? I remember it always being freezing in our house.

Anyway, when I have removed all the plaster from the reveals I'm hoping to get 10mm of aerogel blanket in there. I hope it will adhere to the metal lintel ok. But i will still be short of space for the PB. I'm looking at 6mm cement board. or 3mm if i could find a supplier. Can't think how to fix it to the top reveal tthough. Looks like its going to be mainly instastik at the moment.:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210109_095151.jpg
20210109_095151.jpg
20210109_095132.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I use aerogel blanket on the top reveal, how will I attach the pb/Mg0? Can I use adhesive in both layers?

Sponsored Links