Can I freely knock this chimney breast out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a 1970s detached house and there is a small chimney breast in one of the rooms. There is no fireplace or breast present in the room directly above it.

I had a builder come round and he said it could just be knocked out and it would support itself

Is this the case or will it need a lintel above?

I've been quoted £650 to remove it and plaster the wall. If it doesn't need any support and I can just get rid of it myself, I'd like to do that to save some money.

Photos can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/A1KmRP4

Thanks

Sponsored Links
650 seems reasonable to me, i would hapily pay that for all the black soot thats going to come out. If theres a room above sometimes floor joists are pocketed into them. At least in our house they do. As for support, someone on here will answer that with more knoledge.

I think that will be a fight to get out.

I am sure if you put a joist into a chimney there would be quite a few problems.

Start at the top take the plaster off and have a look at what's going on. It'll be interesting to see where the breast is.

thats a v. cheap price

is ther a c/breast in the loft or a chimney stack on the roof?
1970's house wont have joists restin in the c/breast. theyl be trimmed around it.
ther will be flooring - skirtin - covin an ceilin to make good an wire brush all soot off before renderin back wall.
an rubble to skip.

Sponsored Links
Yes i meant more resting, rather than inserting. Should of been more clear!

Thanks for the input.

The builder who seen it said that it shouldn't need any structural work just breeze block it up after..

the floorboards run sideways so the floorboard must run front to back?

Chimney breast is on a side wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back