Can I get a digital thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I apologise in advance but my boiler/central heating knowledge is embarrassing.

I have a Potteron Suprima 60 HE boiler, with the mankiest programmer which looks very much like the Drayton LP112, which I will get changed for a new one.

However, is it possible to have a wireless digital thermostat with this boiler?

If not, is it possible to change my current dial thermostat with a digital version? When I take the screws out of the bottom the dial unit slides straight off. The wires remain in the wall and it connects via touch metal (sorry don't know the term for this :oops: ).

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
I have a Potteron Suprima 60 HE boiler, with the mankiest programmer which looks very much like the Drayton LP112, which I will get changed for a new one.

Yes that is possible. However I would suggest that you keep the current programmer to control Hot Water times and buy a wireless programmable stat to control the heating.

You will get the benefits and features of a digital stat, and the flexibility of separate times for CH and HW. (The LP112 uses the same times)

Yes that is possible. However I would suggest that you keep the current programmer to control Hot Water times and buy a wireless programmable stat to control the heating

You will get the benefits and features of a digital stat, and the flexibility of separate times for CH and HW. (The LP112 uses the same times)

Thanks for that. Could you suggest a suitable stat?

Could I get an identical programmer to replace the current one? It really is disgusting and I'm putting in a new kitchen so it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Could you suggest a suitable stat?

Could I get an identical programmer to replace the current one? It really is disgusting and I'm putting in a new kitchen so it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.
There's no need to splash out on a new stat. Just move the current stat to the airing cupboard, where the HW cylinder and other components are located. The number of times changes are made to the HW times are very few, so going upstairs to turn the HW on if its gone cold is not too much of an inconvenience.

The cable which currently runs from junction box in the the airing cupboard to the programmer can be disconnected at both ends and left in place.

As for which wireless programmable stat, I would recommend the Honeywell CM921 (24 hour) or CM927 (7 day)

Sponsored Links
There's no need to splash out on a new stat. Just move the current stat to the airing cupboard, where the HW cylinder and other components are located. The number of times changes are made to the HW times are very few, so going upstairs to turn the HW on if its gone cold is not too much of an inconvenience.

The cable which currently runs from junction box in the the airing cupboard to the programmer can be disconnected at both ends and left in place.

As for which wireless programmable stat, I would recommend the Honeywell CM921 (24 hour) or CM927 (7 day)

Sorry, when you say move the stat, do you mean the programmer thing? Does that not need to be connected to the boiler? Or is there some other stat?

Sorry, when you say move the stat, do you mean the programmer thing? Does that not need to be connected to the boiler? Or is there some other stat?
My apologies! I meant to say move the existing programmer.

The programmer does not connect directly to the boiler. It connects via a junction box, which is probably in the upstairs cupboard with the HW cylinder, cylinder stat, pump and motorized valve, which are also connected to the junction box.

My apologies! I meant to say move the existing programmer.

The programmer does not connect directly to the boiler. It connects via a junction box, which is probably in the upstairs cupboard with the HW cylinder, cylinder stat, pump and motorized valve, which are also connected to the junction box.

Thank god for that. Thought I had a grasp of it and then I was completely lost. lol

Oh ok. I'll have to have a proper look in there. I know it has so stat dial on the tank and a couple of other bits in there.

About the digital stat.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/h...-thermostat/?gclid=CKOvjPWb1LwCFTMPtAodDmkATg

How does this work? Does one unit plug in to where the old dial is, then the portable bit connects to that one?

About the digital stat.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/h...-thermostat/?gclid=CKOvjPWb1LwCFTMPtAodDmkATg

How does this work? Does one unit plug in to where the old dial is, then the portable bit connects to that one?
There are two possibilities for the relay unit:

1. If there are three wires available at the old stat (Live, Neutral and switched Live; terminals 1, 2 and 3 on a Honeywell stat), you can install the relay unit in place of the old stat.

2. If only two wires to old stat, then the best location for the relay unit is upstairs, wired directly to the junction box. The relay should be placed outside the cupboard, e.g above the door, so it is visible. The existing stat can be removed and the cable to it will be redundant - disconnect from junction box.

The portable part is not designed to be moved around from room to room, but located in a central place. The wireless feature is only there to remove the need for running long cables to the required location.

If you are happy with the location of the current stat, you might as well buy the CM907 and install it in its place.

CM907 - £68
CM927 - £115
Honeywell Sundial RF2 Pack 2 - £138
Drayton Mitime RF Pack 2 - £145

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back