Can I have a mixer shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m considering moving into a property it has a brand new bathroom but just a bath and no shower. The side the taps are on there’s no way to fit a shower head but the other end of the bath is perfect.

On the other side of the wall is a cupboard with this unvented hot water cylinder.

My question is could we get a hot and cold feed from this area and run the 2 pipes through the wall for a mixer shower or will there be issues with low pressure?

I would obviously get a plumber to do the work if it’s possible.

Thanks

Attachments

• DA8B21C4-4E85-4AEF-AAF8-7CB0DB4F5399.jpeg
    DA8B21C4-4E85-4AEF-AAF8-7CB0DB4F5399.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’m no expert but with a gravity system, I think it’s the height of the cold water storage tank above the shower head that determines the pressure you’d get at the shower.

1. Yes, you should be able to get both hot and cold from the "airing cupboard".
2. Might be wise to make sure there is adequate pressure and flow from the existing water system first, and but a shower to suit what you have.
3. Some baths slope upwards to the rim more steeply at the end away from the taps. Make sure you can stand at that end without slipping.

thanks for the feedback, I’m sure it’s a pressurized system so no need for tank in loft. If the pressure isn’t great maybe a shower pump would help? I’ll try check next time I’m there.

Also the slope on the bath, I have the same at the moment and doesn’t cause me any problems.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It does look like an unvented cylinder to me, so can’t see it being a problem with pressure or getting hot and cold from it. Just need to be careful of balanced supplies, so may be best to get a G3 registered engineer in.

Unvented so it is indeed pressurised with no loft tank. So obviously not gravity fed.

You cant pump it as you need to pump both hot and cold and you cant pump mains cold without a break tank. Just run two new feeds (hot and cold) through to where you need them. If your pressure is good enough to run an unvented system then it will generally be good enough for a mixer shower. Simple.

Make sure you take the cold feed for the shower from the balanced cold feed connection

Thanks for all the information. I’ll make sure to get someone who’s fully qualified to do the work. I’m glad it seems possible though.

One last thing how much roughly would I be looking at for the job? I’ve seen mixer showers for around £150 not sure how much labor is.

No idea - every job is different.

Just make sure you spec a thermostatic mixer shower.

if you can afford it go for a decent shower valve some of the cheap ones on the internet are really poor and not fit for purpose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back