Can I insulate walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The exterior walls of my cottage (1920s build) are double brick construction, so cavity wall insulation is a no-no. Interior walls are very old lath and plaster, with wallpaper on top.

Is there anything I can do to insulate the rooms further?

Sponsored Links
Either battens with insulation between and plasterboard over the top or insulated plasterboard. Both a bit of a bugger in old houses unless the walls are nice and straight. Suppose you could look at external insulation too if its a rendered property. Every solution will be big hassle/£££.

Have you insulated the loft to the max and done your draughtproofing, insulated your pipes and tanks? this gives the best return on ££££

If you have a detached property, and it is rendered (no attractive brickwork or stone) you could go for external insulation, I have seen it in Switzerland but it is uncommon here. They use a rigid foam board with a cement board over the top which is then rendered.

It is better applied to the upper stories where people are unlikely to bump into it and cause damage.

Sponsored Links
Property is rendered outside and I've just spent the weekend insulating the loft - put 200mm Space Blanket on existing (very thin and patchy) insulation, then boarded over the top, lagged all the pipes, wrapped cold water tank etc.

(To give you a clue of what it was like before, the insulation in some parts of the loft consisted of old copies of the Sunday Post, with some old bits of carpet and 30 years of mouse droppings on top!)

We're getting all the (very old and clunky) radiators replaced, plus getting new windows too as the UPVC ones are 30 years old and a bit tired.

Just wondered if there was anything else we could do that won't ratchet up the ££££s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back